Current Job Opportunities at the
Tommy Douglas Conference Center
Assistant General Manager
Reports to: General Manager
Supervises: Executive Housekeeper, Front Desk
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university.
- Hospitality Management major preferred.
- Six or more years of related experience with three or more years as a manager.
- Substantial hospitality industry experience with management and supervisory experience and progressive professional advancement.
- Management of complex capital projects.
Job Knowledge, Core Competencies and Expectation
- Ability to function as TDCC’s general manager during his/her absence.
- Knowledge of management requirements for housekeeping, engineering, maintenance and repair and security functions at the TDCC.
- Must demonstrate appropriate analytical skills, attention to detail, organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to develop and maintain awareness of occupational hazards and safety precautions; skilled in following safety practices and recognizing hazards.
- Knowledge of and ability to perform required role in emergency situations.
Job Summary (Essential Functions) Work closely with the General Manager. Responsible for operation of all aspects of the TDCC in the absence of the General Manager and perform specific tasks as requested by the General Manager.
- Creates general operating procedures and other plans for the rooms, housekeeping, and Front Desk. Monitors the budget and directs corrective action procedures as necessary to help assure that budget goals are attained.
- Functions as an administrative link between departments.
- Monitors internal cost control procedures.
- Plans and coordinates training and professional development programs for himself or herself and TDCC personnel.
- Assists the General Manager in developing and implementing long-range (strategic) and annual (business) plans, operating reports, forecasts and budgets.
- Monitors safety conditions and employees’ conformance with safety procedures; updates emergency plans and procedures and assures that effective training for these programs is conducted in all departments.
- Maintains contact with guests and helps to assure maximum guests satisfaction.
- Receives and resolves complaints from TDCC’s guests and employees.
- Assists in the planning of facility improvements, remodeling, construction and repair, and interacts with applicable committees for this purpose.
- Participates in ongoing facility inspections throughout the campus to assure that cleanliness, maintenance, safety and other standards are consistently attained.
- May serve as a departmental manager in that manager’s absence.
- Attends management and staff meetings as scheduled.
- Interacts with guests answering questions, solving problems, overseeing services and cleanliness and showing the facilities to visitors.
- Serves as a TDCC representative within the community.
- Counsels with other managers and employees about employee grievances and complaints; directs problem correction where possible.
- Monitors labor; evaluates scheduled and actual labor hours and costs.
- Researches new products and develops an analysis of their costs and benefits.
- Oversees daily operations.
- Reviews all accidents and works with Security in completing accident reports.
- Advises General Manager about the development and revision of TDCC policies; consistently enforces all policies.
- Works with department heads to plan professional development programs for applicable staff.
- Ensures that all legal requirements are consistently followed.
- May perform facilities opening and closing duties.
- Monitors employee dress codes and guests dress codes as applicable.
- Conducts training and other meetings with department staff.
- Completes other appropriate assignments made by the General Manager.
Licenses and Special Requirements
Alcohol awareness certification
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Must be able to reach, bend, stoop, stand and lift up to 40 pounds.
- Must be able to handle hot and cold interior and outdoor conditions.
- Independent mobility throughout the clubhouse.
The Amalgamated Transit Union - Training and Education Center (ATU-TEC)/Tommy Douglas Conference Center (TDCC) is an equal opportunity employer that makes decisions without regard to an applicant's race, color, religion, ancestry or national origin, sex, age, marital status, disability status, veteran status, genetic status, family responsibilities, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other status protected by applicable law. In the event that you need a reasonable accommodation in the application or hiring process, please notify the person distributing or accepting this application.